Shortridge High School serves as Butler University College of Education’s Middle Secondary Laboratory School. The partnership is designed to serve as a professional development site for pre-service candidates who are training to become teachers as well as provide a collaborative research facility for both Shortridge and Butler faculty. Learn more here.
What is the Shortridge/Butler Connection?
- A laboratory school for collaborative teaching and research between Butler’s and Shortridge faculty
- A chance for Shortridge students to partner with Butler faculty in a variety of disciplines
- A teaching site for preservice teachers; which provides extra support to Shortridge students at no cost
- A high school connected directly to a university’s College of Education and the best practices in teaching, leading and mentoring
What are the Butler benefits for students while at Shortridge?
- Access to on campus library resources, lecture series and learning environments
- Shared experiences with faculty and students from all six of Butler’s colleges
- Early College opportunities including workshops and seminars along with mentoring
What are the future benefits at Butler for Shortridge students?
- Special consideration for admission applications submitted by Shortridge graduates
- Ability to apply for one of the ten “Tuition Guarantees” available to IPS students through Butler. The tuition guarantees provides full tuition coverage when combined with available state/federal financial aid.
What are some examples of the partnership this year?
- Butler College of Education students provides one-on-one tutoring for students within a variety of academic classes
- Jordan College of Arts students volunteer time with our musical groups and are partnering on a spring opera production
- Shortridge students are invited to participate in Butler’s Founders Day Contest via art and poetry submissions
- Shortridge faculty are collaborating with professors from across the university to share materials and resources with Shortridge students
- Butler librarians work with our junior class as they research their extended essay for the IB Diploma Program, including trainings at Shortridge and a day at the Irwin Library on Butler’s campus.
- Butler’s Admissions office is hosting our juniors for one-on-one college counseling
- Several Butler faculty members are speakers for our Friday Connect series