For the 2021–22 school year, IPS has updated the ways in which students get to and from school: walking, riding an IPS yellow bus, or using IndyGo.
IPS has executed the district’s walk zone policy for K–12 students at all schools. Children are classified as a walker if the following conditions are met:
- K–6 students who reside 1 mile or less from their school.
- 7–8 students who reside 1.25 miles or less from their school.
- 9–12 students who reside 1.5 miles or less from their school.
*Students who have been designated as walkers have already been contacted by the district.
IPS has selected students in Grades 9–12 at the district high schools to transition to IndyGo for the 21–22 school year. Selected students will transition to IndyGo as their sole means of transportation to and from school (and will not receive yellow bus transportation).
These students will receive a district-issued student ID card with a FREE annual electronic IndyGo bus pass connected to their card. Eligibility criteria for students who have been selected to ride IndyGo include:
- Zero IndyGo bus transfers
- Less than .7-mile total walk
- No more than 50 minutes total travel time. (We anticipate that the average total travel time for eligible students will be 25 minutes.)
*Students who have been designated as IndyGo riders have already been contacted by the district.
IPS Yellow Bus
Students who will ride the district’s yellow bus service to and from school should expect to receive their bus stop information the week of July 24.