As WE bear witness to the recent tragedies where law enforcement officers have taken the lives of Black people in this city and our nation, and we acknowledge the generational trauma, systemic racism, and racial violence in which our nation has created and upheld for too long. As a school community, the administrators, teachers, and staff of Harshman Middle pledge to do the following:
1. We pledge to listen and to grow as educators, learning from people of color and all oppressed people throughout the world.
2. We pledge to sustain our chosen Race Equity Commitment.
3. We pledge to be held accountable for our role in discipline and academic disparities for Black students by refraining from policies and procedures that disproportionately remove them from their right to an education.
4. We pledge to analyze why we have or don’t have an inclusive community, that emphasizes the recruitment, support, and retention of teachers of color, especially Black teachers.
5. We pledge to incorporate trauma-informed, restorative, and culturally responsive anti-racist pedagogies and to support all who work at Harshman in anti-bias and de-escalation strategies.
6. We pledge to prioritize diverse voices in our curriculum and to uplift stories of marginalized peoples and their pursuits of justice around the world.
7. We pledge to make all voices heard in the classroom and school, to be receptive to feedback from students and families, and to seek advice and collaborations from the community.
8. We pledge to fight alongside our students for equity in our community through service-learning, political and civic advocacy, and productive protest.
9. We pledge to listen and be held accountable to these statements both by colleagues, students, and all relevant stakeholders.