Grades Pre-K–8 | All Zones
At IPS, our Visual and Performing Arts (VPA) schools enable students to explore a robust offering of related arts classes, including general music, instrumental music, art, dance, physical education, and theater. Students have the opportunity to express themselves in a variety of ways with the goal to promote the development of critical thinking skills through cross-disciplinary and integrated academic experiences.
- Talent development in the arts
What to expect:
- Students will have access to courses in general music, visual art, dance, theater, band, orchestra, and digital media.
- Lessons are developed through the lens of integrated experiences that are student-centered and connect academic standards to creative expression.
- Students are eligible to participate in annual productions (plays/musicals).
An In-Depth Look: Visual and Performing Arts
The VPA learning model is designed to foster and develop the talents of students in the arts as well as enhance the general education curriculum through arts integration in reading, social studies, math, and science, to name a few. Educators from a variety of disciplines will plan out experiences where students master academic standards through the integration of core subjects and the arts. Arts are not a supplement to the curriculum, but rather work together with core studies to strengthen one another.
Schools with VPA Programming
- Edison School of the Arts School 47 | Grades K–8 | Zones 3 & 4
- James Whitcomb Riley School 43 | Grades Pre-K–5 | Zones 1 & 2
Note: Through the Rebuilding Stronger plan, James Whitcomb Riley School 43 will start VPA programming for Grades Pre-K–5 in the 2024-25 school year.