Grades Pre-K–12 | Zones 1–4
At IPS, our International Baccalaureate (IB) schools emphasize inquiry, collaborative learning, critical thinking, and student agency. This educational model seeks to develop socially responsible contributors who recognize their shared humanity and guardianship of the planet and strive to create a more peaceful world.
- Project-based learning integrating core subjects
- Community service and action
- Global themes (i.e., World Languages)
What to Expect:
- Students drive their own learning by asking questions and collaborating with others.
- Together, students and teachers have agency to set goals, take action, and reflect on progress.
An In-Depth Look: IB
IB Primary Years Programme (PYP)
Students will go through six units of study based on global themes that incorporate math, science, social studies, reading, writing, and the arts through transdisciplinary teaching, where students apply knowledge and skills from multiple disciplines to help shape the learning experience.
IB Middle Years Programme (MYP)
Students are required to take a course in each of eight subject areas. Courses are developed using the IB’s unit-planning framework, which requires teachers and planning teams to develop a guiding inquiry question; design formative and summative assessments; identify key related concepts that link together courses; and implement writing and analysis across all subject areas.
IB Diploma Programme (DP)
Students will dive into six subject groups and the DP core, which includes theory of knowledge (TOK), creativity, activity, service (CAS), and the extended essay. The core studies allow students to reflect on the nature of knowledge, complete independent research, and undertake a community service project.
Schools with International Baccalaureate Programming
- Carl Wilde School 79 | Grades Pre-K–5 | Zone 1
- Benjamin Harrison School 2 (CFI 2) | Grades K–5 | Zone 3
- Charity Dye School 27 (CFI 27) | Grades Pre-K–5 | Zone 3
- Mary Nicholson School 70 (CFI 70) | Pre-K–5 | Zone 2
- Joseph J. Bingham School 84 (CFI 84) | Grades K–5 | Zone 2
- George W. Julian School 57 | Grades K–5 | Zone 4
- Broad Ripple Middle School | Grades 6–8 | Zone 2
- H. W. Longfellow Middle School | Grades 6–8 | Zone 3
- Northwest Middle School | Grades 6–8 | Zone 1
- Thomas Carr Howe Middle School | Grades 6–8 | Zone 4
- Shortridge High School | Grades 9–12 | All Zones
*Note: Shortridge High School is the only high school in Indiana where all students complete the IB programming.