Currently, IPS is only accepting research requests from two groups of researchers:
- IPS staff members who are working on their thesis or dissertation at universities
- Existing partner organizations with IPS who have sponsors or collaborators within IPS
We are not accepting research requests from individuals who do not meet the criteria above.
IPS receives many requests to supply information for or to participate in research projects conducted by individuals or agencies from within and outside the school system. Requests will be reviewed by a research committee. The committee will include the administrators whose schools or programs are involved, and appropriate others. Recommendations are submitted for final approval to the Superintendent or his/her designee.
Approval of requests will depend on the value to IPS, with respect to the time of pupils and staff concerned, and the adequacy and acceptability of the design and instrumentation of the study.
Research must be conducted according to the highest ethical and methodological standards to protect the rights and privacy of our students and staff.
The following processes are to be followed and conditions met for applications to conduct research in the schools to be approved:
- An Indianapolis Public Schools Request to Conduct Research form must be completed (Please see link to forms below).
- A detailed description of the methodology, procedures and objectives must be submitted with the form. If a specific site is desired, it should be identified in the proposal.
- One copy each of all instruments, including surveys, questionnaires and pictures, to be used must be included with the request. Copies of information letters and consent forms to be used must also be included.
- Evidence of favorable human subjects, reviewed by the researcher’s institution, must be submitted with the request (IRB).
The privacy of schools and individuals must be observed along with confidentiality of records. Researchers may inspect or review a pupil’s record or use any information contained in it only with written permission from the parent/guardian. The researcher must also sign the appropriate form giving his/her name, date of the review, and purpose of the review. This form becomes a permanent part of the pupil record.
Other personally identifiable records or files may be used only with written permission from the parent or guardian. Personality tests, personal problem checklists and similar instruments are not to be administered except with explicit consent of the parent or guardian.
If more than one researcher is to be involved in a study, one person should be assigned as the primary investigator and contact person.
Participation by students or employees is entirely voluntary. The schools or employees selected to participate in the study will be notified of the research committee’s approval of the study. It will be necessary for the researcher to secure cooperation from the participants.
A complete report of the study must be submitted upon completion to the Director of Research, Evaluation and Assessment of Indianapolis Public Schools. Interim reports may be required for studies extending beyond the school year in which the study was approved. Where group data is concerned (as in a report of a study), the parents/guardians of any student shall be entitled to receive, or be informed of, that part of such record or data that pertains to their children.
Address all inquiries to:
Director of Research and Assessment
Indianapolis Public Schools
120 East Walnut Street, Suite 601E
Indianapolis, IN 46204