Brookside Elementary is a K-6 Elementary School serving approximately 400 students.
CLICK HERE for IDOE INview (demographic and performance data)
Brookside is a caring, and loving place where families, students, staff and community members work together in partnership to create exceptional learning opportunities for children. With a motto and purpose to show “Excellence in our Attitude, Actions, and Achievement”, we will ensure all children at Brookside grow by 1.5 years each school year. Additionally, we will ensure all students are provided with foundational skills so they are able to do anything they wish to do in life. We believe in equity and literacy for all, and believe it is our responsibility as a community to wrap our students in love and encouragement while holding them to high expectations of excellence.
Our Mission & Vision
Brookside School 54’s history began in 1865 as a two room framed schoolhouse serving neighborhood children. In 1886, a new four room brick building was erected across the street on land that houses Brookside School 54 today. In the early 1900’s, Brookside School 54 saw rapid growth in its student population and several additions were made to the original four room brick building. Over the next twenty years, additions included an auditorium and many classrooms.
In 2004, Brookside School 54 underwent major renovations turning the old 20 room brick school building into a contemporary 90,000 sq. ft. facility. Brookside School 54 houses twenty seven classrooms, a gymnasium, a cafeteria, a library, a distance learning room, a parent center, a community room, a health clinic and two playgrounds. Many of the architectural structures that personalized Brookside School 54 like the limestone arch bearing Brookside’s name and the pillars were incorporated into the new building. Artwork, including murals and pictures painted by Otto Sparks and Clifford Wheeler (commissioned by students in 1921), was restored and placed throughout the new building. The new Brookside School 54 building opened in 2006 with a building capacity to serve eight hundred students.