George Buck School 94 students joined the fight against hunger by volunteering at the 5th Annual Thrive360 Million Meals Marathon event held at Lucas Oil Stadium

 

Imagine going through the day not knowing where your next meal will come from. There’s nothing in your cabinets to eat, no canned goods; not even one container of leftovers from a previous meal, the refrigerator is completely empty and you feel like you’re out of options. Your thoughts are flooded with questions like, “what will I feed my kids?” Sadly, this is the reality for a lot of Central Indiana families.  According to a 2015 SAVI report, “Hunger in Central Indiana”; Indiana’s food insecurity rate is 15.7 percent, about the same as the nation’s rate of 15.9 percent. Marion County has the highest food insecurity rate in the state, with 173,900 citizens experiencing food insecurity.

 

Thrive360, formerly Kids Against Hunger of Central Indiana, has fed 25 million hungry families in Indiana and throughout the world since 2007. Last Tuesday, 6th graders of George Buck School 94 joined the fight against hunger by volunteering at the 5th Annual Thrive360 Million Meals Marathon event held at Lucas Oil Stadium.Tina Flynn, Parent Liaison and Community Coordinator says students are currently working on service learning as a part of their curriculum and seized the opportunity to be hands-on.

 

“It’s important for our students to understand how to give back. They don’t always have to be the recipients. This event helped them realize that there are some people who are less fortunate than they are,” said Flynn.  

 

Students were positioned at different food group stations such as the protein and sodium stations. The food then had to be weighed before it was distributed into the boxes. The two 6th grade classes tenaciously packed over 12 meal boxes; each box containing 36 highly nutritious, lifesaving meals.

 

“The Million Meals Marathon taught me how to work as a team and how to help others in need,” said 6th grade student Eric G.

 

Of the one million meals packed at the event, 75 percent will remain in Central Indiana for distribution to local food banks and the remaining 25 percent will be sent to those facing malnutrition and starvation in other parts of the world, due to war, famine, poverty or natural disaster.

 

“It is important to help others, because when you give back to your community, then your community will give back to you,” said 6th grade student Eden Q.

 

Students were also able to meet and greet Indianapolis Colts football players and cheerleaders. There were over 5,000 hands that came together for one extraordinary day of giving and sharing.

 

“I felt loving and caring during the event, because I knew I made a change in someone’s life,” said 6th grade student Laderia S.