The Indianapolis Public Schools Career Technology Center (CTC) is cultivating an exciting new partnership to benefit students in several career pathways. The Arsenal Technical High School greenhouse will be the newest site for Growing Places Indy (GPI)!
The horticultural experts at GPI are working to turn the currently unused greenhouse back into a thriving space, and the results will have a huge impact on our students. The greenhouse will provide internship opportunities and educational experiences for the students of Arsenal Tech’s Science and Technology of Agriculture and its Resources (STAR) Academy. The crops grown by STAR Academy students and GPI staff will be used by Culinary Arts students as they prepare food at Colonel’s Cupboard.
“It’s an exciting partnership,” said Career Technology Center Director Ben Carter. “This will really help our agriculture and culinary students learn about organic growing and farming, and how it impacts the food we eat.”
CTC’s farm-to-table operation isn’t the only strong community partnership offering a jump start for career-bound students. Here are some of the other organizations offering opportunities to IPS scholars:
- Amtrak: Six students from Welding Technology, Diesel Service and HVAC are currently interns with the rail company.
- Indianapolis Fire Department: Fire Science students will be paired up with mentors from IFD to provide insight on opportunities with the career field.
- 3D Parts Manufacturing: The STEM company is building a 1st MakerSpace in the CTC, where students will be able to have hands-on experience with 3D design and printing, laser cutting, electronics, graphic design (vinyl cutting and printing) and more!
- Nursing Homes: Golden Living Center and Community Nursing and Rehabilitation Center offer clinical experience opportunities for our future Certified Nursing Assistants.
- ACE Mentor Program: Architects and construction management experts from the community meet with our Architectural Drafting and Design students regularly to prepare for a real-world design competition.
We are honored to have so many strong community partnerships at CTC, and look forward to the positive impact these programs will have on our students!