Last semester we announced our partnership with Naviance, a college and career readiness platform that will help align student strengths and interests to their post-secondary goals, ultimately improving student outcomes.
Naviance has recently launched a new feature that will help students throughout the district prep for the SAT, a globally recognized college admission assessment that will informs colleges about what you know and how well you can apply that knowledge. High School transcripts are only one factor that colleges consider when making admission decisions; SAT scores can greatly predict success in your college career.
Already prepping for your SAT? Be aware that a new SAT will be available March 2016, and it will include several modifications in comparison to the current test.
See the comparison chart below for an at-a-glance summary of the coming changes with the assessment:
Total Testing Time
3 hrs and 45 mins
3 hrs + 50 mins for Essay
1. Critical Reading
1. Evidence-based Reading and Writing
· Emphasis on reasoning skills
· Emphasis on vocabulary
· Complex scoring (including deductions for incorrect answers)
· Focus on knowledge, skillandunderstanding
· Greater emphasis on meanings of words in context
· Right-only scoring (no penalty for guessing)
· Required andgiven at the start of the SAT
· 25 mins to complete
· Tests Writing skills
· Optional and given at the end of the SAT
· 50 mins to complete
· Tests Reading analysis andWriting skills
· Scale range 600-2400
· Scale ranging from 200-800 for Critical Reading, Mathematics and Writing
· Essay scaled to multiple-choice Writing
· Scale range from 400-1600
· Scale ranging from 200-800 for Evidence-based Reading, Writing and Mathematics
· Essay scaled to a range of two to eight on each of three dimensions for essay
Naviance now offers testing prep that will assist you with your upcoming test, including features such as:
- Calendar and timeline to help you keep track of your test time and date
- Knowledge and planning progress bars to help you gage your test readiness
- Percentile ranking that compares you to other students using the program
- Subject strengths and improvement areas
- Study Support:
- Lesson Plans
- Practice Exams
The site also features a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section that will help breakdown any concerns you may have regarding the SAT.
The SAT can be scary, but with the right preparations we are sure you will excel in your testing efforts. Other programs such as Edgenuity and Khan Academy also offer an Official SAT Practice Test that will allow you to practice anytime at no cost. Contact your school counselor for more ways to prep for the SAT!