Online event to bring more than 2,000 IPS juniors and seniors together to explore future pathways for success
Junior Achievement (JA) of Central Indiana and Indianapolis Public Schools (IPS) are hosting an online experience for local teens to increase postsecondary success Tuesday, April 6, and Thursday, April 8. The JA and IPS 3E Fair will expose high school junior and senior students to the 3 Es to ensure they are ready to be enrolled in a college or university, employed at a livable wage or enlisted in one of the branches of the military when they graduate.
The JA and IPS 3E Fair is an interactive high school experience exposing thousands of local students to the 3E pathways while building postsecondary readiness concepts and skills. The program will help teens plan for their futures by bringing together information and applications for jobs, colleges, trade certification programs and military service opportunities in central Indiana, all on one virtual platform.
A proud partner of the Project Indy Initiative, the JA and IPS 3E Fair is committed to connecting youth to employment along with education and enlistment opportunities that lead to employment.
More than 60 employers, trade programs, educational institutions and military branches are participating in the event – providing students with opportunities to meet with and learn more about various professions, available entry level positions, higher-education opportunities and careers in the military.
Students participating in the 3E Fair can do so in a classroom setting or from their mobile device. The virtual platform, created by JA, will include a variety of pre-recorded videos from local professionals, downloadable resources and materials, direct links to applications and enrollment, and live Q&A sessions with HR professionals, postsecondary education representatives and military personnel.
“We can’t let the pandemic threaten students’ opportunities for success and derail their future,” said Jennifer Burk, president and CEO of Junior Achievement of Central Indiana. “With IPS as a partner, we’ve been able to meet students where they are, by going virtual. This not only provides them with unique opportunities, building their hope and engagement in planning for the future, but also helps connect businesses, schools and our armed forces with bright and motivated individuals.”
“This partnership with Junior Achievement opens up a perfect opportunity to inspire our students when they need it most,” said Aleesia Johnson, IPS superintendent. “Just because we’re living in a pandemic doesn’t mean planning for the future stops. We’re grateful to the many participating partners opening the doors to numerous possibilities for exciting next steps after high school.”
In addition to IPS schools, JA is also partnering with MSD of Wayne Township and MSD of Warren Township schools to provide the JA 3E Fair to students this spring.
Partners in attendance
- Employment (Employers Currently Hiring Students or Graduates): Allegion, Allison Transmission, Amazon, American Senior Communities, B&W Plumbing and Heating Company, Bell Techlogix, Carrier, City of Indianapolis, Crew Carwash, Donatos Pizza, Early Learning Indiana, Ed Martin Automotive, Eskenazi Health, Express Employment Professionals Indy South, Fastenal, FedEx Express Indianapolis Hub, Finish Line, GEICO, Indiana State Fair Commission, Jiffy Lube Indiana, Kroger, Milestone Contractors, Nelbud Services, Pepper Construction, Praxair Surface Technologies, SMX Staff Management, State of Indiana, Stoops Freightliner, TeenWorks, The Alexander Hotel, The Patachou Foundation, United Parcel Services, US Postal Service, and Versiti Blood Center of Indiana.
- Enrollment (Universities, Colleges, Trade Programs and Certifications): Anderson University, Ball State University, Butler University, DePauw University, Eleven Fifty Academy, Franklin College, IBEW Local 481, Indiana State University, Indiana University, Indiana University School of Dentistry, Indiana/Kentucky/Ohio Regional Council of Carpenters, IU Health Pharmacy Technician Program, IUPUI, Ivy Tech Community College, LIFT Academy, Marian University, Paul Mitchell The School Indianapolis, Purdue University, SMW Local 20 Apprenticeship & Training, and University of Indianapolis.
- Enlistment (Branches of Military): Indiana Army National Guard, United States Air Force/Space Force, United States Army, United States Coast Guard, United States Marine Corps, and United States Navy.
- Student Resources and Exploration Opportunities: Build Your Future Indiana (BYF), IN Demand Jobs, IN Reality, Job Corps, NOAA, The Indiana Careers in Construction Association (ICCA), The Indiana Commission for Higher Education, The Metropolitan Indianapolis Central Indiana Area Health Education Center (MICI-AHEC), and Today’s Military.
For more information on the virtual 3E Fair or other JA programs, visit here.
About Junior Achievement of Central Indiana
Junior Achievement of Central Indiana, in partnership with the business and education communities, empowers young people to own their future success. JA educates and inspires young people in the areas of career exploration, employability/life skills, entrepreneurship, financial literacy and philanthropy through hands-on, experiential learning opportunities for children in kindergarten through high school. For more opportunities to get involved or volunteer visit: jaindy.org.
About Indianapolis Public Schools
The largest public school district in Indiana, Indianapolis Public Schools (IPS) is an agile, innovative educational organization committed to academic excellence built through individualized, relationship-based learning. The district empowers its students to think critically, creatively and responsibly, to embrace diversity and pursue their dreams with purpose. Though it covers 80 square miles, employs nearly 4,000 people, and serves more than 31,000 students, it is committed to serving individual students with what they need. To learn more about IPS, please visit www.myips.org.
Kacy Wendling, Junior Achievement of Central Indiana
(765) 376-9761, firstname.lastname@example.org