Indianapolis Public Schools (IPS) celebrated the outstanding staff, schools, community partners, and alumni throughout the district — those making a difference in the lives of students and families — during the 2021 Hall of Fame Awards on Nov. 5.
The presenters included Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett, Evan Hawkins, President of the IPS Board of Commissioners; Dr. Katie Jenner, Indiana Secretary of Education; Peter Lacy, Commissioner of the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles and Broad Ripple High School Class of 1992; and Vop Isili, president of the City-County Council for Indianapolis-Marion County.
Also making presentations at the event were dpresentatives from community partners and sponsors, including Daniel R. Roy, partner in Faegre Drinker, and Stan Jackson, chief innovation officer for Apex Benefits.
Awards and the recipients included:
- Teacher of the Year: Sarah TeKolste, a Spanish teacher at Shortridge High School.
- Principal of the Year: Tihesha Henderson, head of school/executive director of Sankofa School of Success at Arlington Woods School 99.
- Outstanding Staff Member of the Year: Susana Colgan, parent involvement educator in the Newcomer Program.
- Excellence in Innovation: Thomas Gregg Neighborhood School.
- Engaging School Award: George Washington Carver School 87.
- Community Partner in Action presented by MDWise: Gleaners Food Bank.
Individuals received the Inspiring Award, presented by LDI, Ltd., and were inducted into the IPS Hall of Fame include:
- Tim Bass, a graduate of Arlington High School, Class of 1982, is a motivational speaker who currently works for Eli Lilly.
- David Lewis, a graduate of Arsenal Tech High School, Class of 1977, is known for leading many of the city’s major sports and economic initiatives.
- Max Siegel, a graduate of Northwest High School, Class of 1982, who has had a long and storied career in the sports and entertainment industries.
- Julie Vincent, Broad Ripple High School, Class of 1973, who also taught at the school from 1977-81.
- Mike Woodson, a graduate of Broad Ripple High School, Class of 1976, is in the first season as coach of the Indiana University men’s basketball team after a long career in the National Basketball Association as a player and coach.
The annual Hall of Fame Awards was presented by the Indianapolis Public Schools Foundation, which partners with the district to help provide opportunities for area businesses to support schools and programs.
The Friends of IPS Sponsors included Allan B. Hubbard, Mind Trust, and the Rotary Club Indianapolis.