The CDC (2018) states, the best way to prevent seasonal flu is to get vaccinated every year. Listed below are steps to prevent the spread of the flu virus:
- Practicing good hand hygiene. Students and staff members should wash their hands often with soap and water, especially after coughing or sneezing. Alcoholi-based hand rubs are also useful.
- Practicing respiratory etiquette. The main way the flu spreads is from person to person in the droplets produced by coughs and sneezes, so it’s important to cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your elbow or shoulder, not into your hands.
- Staying home if you’re sick. Keeping sick students at home if they have a fever of 100 or greater and/or have the flu virus.
The symptoms of flu can include:
- Fever (although not everyone with flu has a fever)
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Body aches
- Sometimes diarrhea and vomiting
If you think you have the flu virus, please seek immediate attention and notify your physician.