Nov. 3, 2017
SCHOOL CHOICE – Each year, IPS hosts its annual Showcase of Schools. The daylong school information and enrollment event offers parents and students an opportunity to learn about all of the district’s schools – from Pre-K through Grade 12.
For the second year in a row, Indianapolis Public Schools will take over the Indiana State Museum to highlight the district’s schools, academic programs, extracurricular offerings and community partnerships during its annual — and largest — enrollment event of the year.
The 4th Annual IPS Showcase of Schools will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 18, at the Indiana State Museum, 650 W. Washington St.
Featuring the district’s 70-plus schools and alternative learning enviornments, Showcase also serves as the kickoff to IPS’ annual Choice Application Lottery.
The three-round lottery is easy to navigate and open to families interested in applying to the district’s coveted and competitive Choice programs, which are offered by schools whose curriculum includes everything from STEM to visual and performing arts and whose teaching methods range from International Baccalaureate and Reggio Emilia, to Montessori and Paideia.
“Showcase of Schools is a chance for students and families to learn about all of IPS’ excellent schools. It’s a particularly helpful event for families — current or prospective — looking into their school options for the 2018-19 school year, but we will also have staff on hand to help families enroll for the current school year,” said Patrick Herrel, director of Enrollment and Options at IPS.
Last year, the event drew nearly 1,000 attendees. This year, IPS officials believe that number will increase. With all of the academic options for families, the new all-Choice high school model will be a draw at this year’s Showcase as families come to learn about the district’s exciting new programs designed to help students earn college credit and meet industry demands.
This year’s Showcase will feature:
- Opportunities to meet IPS principals, learn about academic programs and extracurricular activities, and apply to schools.
- Information tables and displays for the district’s 70-plus schools and alternative learning environments (from Pre-K through high school).
- Screenings of the new IPS short film, offering an inside look at The New IPS High School Experience and its College- and Career-Themed Academies and Choice programs; followed by a Q&A.
- Interactive demonstrations of the new College- and Career-Themed Academies.
- Opportunities for one-on-one sessions with school counselors and recruiters to help students (and their families) select the best academy and pathway.
- A new and improved Enrollment Suite, featuring more than 30 specialists to expedite the application and enrollment process.
- A new unified enrollment system through Enroll Indy, allowing for greater chances of getting into your school of choice.
- Free lunch from the Bus Stop Café, IPS’ new food bus, and information about the district’s innovative meal program that provides FREE breakfast and lunch for all students, regardless of income.
- Live student performances inside the Legacy Theatre.
- Free admission into the Indiana State Museum’s galleries and exhibits.
- Live remotes from Radio One; chances to win cool prizes through raffles and giveaways held throughout the day; and so much more!
For both current and prospective families, Showcase of Schools is the one and only time during the year when they have full access to all IPS schools. It’s an opportunity that’s not lost on IPS educators promoting their schools.
Jean Ely, principal of Eliza A. Blaker School 55, said being able to interact with administrators and staff is a plus. “The opportunity to get questions answered and compare options (is) often referenced and is very helpful to our visitors. … It’s also a great way to promote new programs and initiatives in our schools.”
With so many schools and options in one venue, it’s easy to become overwhelmed. However, navigating Showcase of Schools is easy with these three steps.
Navigating Showcase of Schools in Three Easy Steps
When you arrive at the Indiana State Museum, pick up a Showcase program from the first-floor registration table. Locate the school(s) you’re interested in on the map and visit each one to learn about academics, extracurricular activities and more. Be sure to visit at least one elementary, middle and high school.
*Don’t forget your Showcase passport! Attendees who turn in completed passports will receive a free parking voucher.
Once you’re finished visiting schools, head to the IPS Enrollment Suite (second floor) to apply to IPS’ exciting Choice programs/schools or to register for an IPS neighborhood school.
Be sure to enjoy Showcase amenities, including the IPS short film; student performances; free lunch for students at the Bus Stop Café; raffles/giveaways; College- and Career-Themed Academy demonstrations; and free admission to ISM galleries/exhibits.
We hope to see you at the 4th Annual Showcase of Schools!