July 28, 2017
Summer break is almost over and there’s plenty for parents and students to do before the 2017-18 school year begins on July 31.
To help start the new school year on the right foot, IPS has put together a quick checklist of things to do before the first day of school. From enrollment to immunizations and even free back-to-school festivals, this guide will put you on track for a successful year.
BACK 2 SCHOOL RESOURCES
The Back 2 School page on the myIPS website has all of the information you’ll need to head back into the classroom prepared. The page offers information on:
- The New Three-Tiered Bell Schedule
- The IPS Dress Code
- School Supply Lists
- Special Education and Alternative Education
- Community Resources
- School-Year Calendar
IPS ENROLLMENT FAIR
The Office of Enrollment and Options at IPS is hosting special back-to-school hours to help busy parents enroll their students in our district’s neighborhood schools.
Enrollment specialists are available through August 4 at the John Morton-Finney Center for Educational Services, 120 E. Walnut St., during the following times:
- 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
- 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday
For a list of documents and other items needed to complete enrollment for the 2017-18 school year, as well as information on the upcoming IPS Choice lottery application, visit the Enrollment page at myips.org/enroll.
BACK-TO-SCHOOL FUN & FREEBIES
Indianapolis plays host to many back-to-school events each year that offer students and families everything from free backpacks to school supplies and immunizations, as well as free food and live entertainment.
Mark your calendar for these upcoming happenings:
Saturday, July 29, 2017
- 15th Annual Covering Kids & Families Back to School Family Day 2017: 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Marion County Health Department, 3800 Rural St.
- Back to School Extravaganza: 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., St. Luke’s United Methodist Church, 100 W. 86th
- Back to School Community Extravaganza: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.: New Beginnings Fellowship Church, 2125 N. German Church Road.
REINVENTING IPS HIGH SCHOOLS
The Reinventing IPS High Schools page on the myIPS website provides a comprehensive look at the recommendation for IPS to operate only four high schools starting with the 2018-19 school year.
The page features a clever animated video on how the new high schools will operate, a list of upcoming Board meetings for public comment, a timeline for potential high school closures and conversions, information on the Career-Themed Academies at each of the four high schools, and much more.
Learn more at myips.org/reinventinghighschools.
CONNECT WITH IPS
Stay on top of what’s happening in IPS schools, with district students, teachers, administrators, stakeholders and community partners via IPS’ social media platforms, mobile app and bi-weekly newsletter The Achiever.
- Follow IPS on Facebook and Twitter
- Subscribe to The Achiever newsletter
- Sign up for the IPS mobile app