As we transition into the Return to In-Person learning, beginning October 5, students and parents can expect the following adjustments:
IPS made an initial investment of resources to purchase iPads/Chromebooks to ensure all students have a device. The district has also invested in MiFi mobile hotspot devices as a short-term solution to address internet access for students.
Any questions regarding device needs should be directed to your child’s school.
- All schools (and all students) will return to their original bell time, which means adjusting your student’s schedule. Check your school’s website for individual bell times.
- Remote learning students will continue to access their class via Microsoft Teams and utilize Clever and Schoology similar to the current full-time remote learning instruction.
- Remote learning students may also be placed in groups or with students who are attending in-person and may experience more asynchronous learning activities.
- Schools ensure that necessary therapeutic services required by a student’s Individual Education Plan (IEP) or Individual Learning Plan (ILP) will be provided.
- Remote learning student attendance will be taken daily – or every period (MS/HS) – by the student’s teacher. Teacher(s) will verify student attendance by the student’s presence on Microsoft Teams daily.
Grading expectations for online students and recommended grading expectations for all schools will be given to building principals prior to the start of the school year.
STUDENT SUPPORT STRATEGIES
- IPS Learning Hubs and Student Support Networks will close on Friday, October 2.
- In-Person Related Services:
- Some related services difficult or impossible to facilitate in a virtual setting may be administered, on-site at an IPS facility (i.e. evaluations, occupational therapies, physical therapies, etc.).
- Teachers of record or service providers will work with students on a case by case basis to determine a) when a service should be facilitated in person, b) if the parent/student is interested in taking advantage of the in-person option, c) the time and location of the in-person service, and d) the frequency by which the service should occur.
SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL LEARNING (SEL) RESOURCES AND CURRICULUM
We recognize the importance of providing students and staff with extra social and emotional support as they return to school this year. Expect to see special welcome activities, extra time for building relationships and establishing new routines, and focus on coping strategies.
Our counselors, social workers and psychologists will be ready to assist students and staff in need of support. Additionally, school-based mental health professionals through Community Health Network will be available. We’ll be sharing additional resources throughout the year.
COVID-19 LEARNING LOSS
Schools may implement additional blocks of time for intervention, tutoring and remediation. These sessions can be held virtually and all students can attend. Lessons may be stretched to accommodate the pre-teaching of prerequisite skills/concepts.
Our pacing guides have been revised to spiral standards from last year while still ensuring students access new grade-level content.
We are continuing to deepen teacher expertise in both technology tools and blended learning models through professional development modules. Teachers will continue to utilize the evidence based instructional practices that were outlined before school started and have observed in our current remote learning context.
Additionally, we have made commitments to ensure the experience is still a quality experience for our students:
- Curriculum: Students at home will be able to access the same curriculum as their in-person peers* (excludes students in CTE courses).
- Teachers: Students in all grades will stay connected to their home schools by receiving instruction from the teachers in their home school.
Sample Pre-K–12 Student Schedules:
Below are samples of what the instructional schedule may look like by grade level. Final schedules will be determined by your child’s school.
ADDITIONAL BACK TO SCHOOL RESOURCES