Organized in 1970, the Indianapolis Public Schools Police Department consisted of 40 unarmed security guards and was titled IPS Security. In 1997, the department transitioned to the employment and training of sworn, armed police officers. Today, the department consists of 46 staff members, including officers, investigators, sergeants, dispatchers, and the police chief and captain.
Operating 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, the IPS Police Department serves more than 31,000 students and families throughout the district. Officers in these schools and neighborhoods serve as school resource officers, committed to providing support to all IPS properties, students, staff and families. Officers seek to create positive interactions and build relationships across our community through their assignments.
To best serve and connect with IPS students, officers attend trainings on restorative justice practices, implicate bias, racial equity and more. The department also works with local law enforcement agencies, as well as emergency services agencies as needed.
IPS Police Dispatch: 317.226.4633
Chief Tonia Guynn: email@example.com
Captain Bridget Lewis: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bridgett Mueller, Office Manager: email@example.com
- All Officers are required to successfully complete Tier 1 of the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy.
- Offers are provided mandated yearly training.
- Officers serve as school resource officers reporting to IPS PD and in support of school level administration.
- Officers and the department as a whole will work with other law enforcement agencies and emergency service agencies as needed.
- Beginning salary of $52,452
- Differential pay based off of experience and/or ILEA certifications
- Regular Monday-Friday schedule
- Medical, Dental and other insurance plans with no-cost health care for plan participants
- Furnished uniforms and a yearly uniform allowance
- Furnished equipment
- Paid departmental overtime and compensatory time accrual
- Off-duty employment permitted
- Free Employee Assistance Program for employee and dependents
- ILEA preferred but not required